Monday, November 30, 2009

Hope you all enjoyed your turkey: a few post-Thanksgiving treats

To answer your questions...

1. No, I'm not dead.
2. No, I didn't forget about this blog.
3. No, the baby isn't mine.
4. Yes, I will be posting more regularly.

Was either back home, or visiting my girlfriend's family all of last week, so I didn't have much free time to give you any fun new content. Though I did manage to come down with an ear infection, and was briefly unable to hear out of my left ear--I can now, but it's pitch distorted, which annoys me to no end. Anyways, this afternoon I plan on commenting on some of the goings-on of the past week--just something quick. Tonight, I might turn back the clock by sharing some classic Colin and uploading a column I wrote for my high-school paper when I was a senior (I found them all on an old jump drive I found tucked away in a drawer yesterday). Later this week, I'm hoping to get a Fantasy Football Awards up--but I have a term paper due Wednesday, so that's assuming that I don't either cut my head off or swear off writing forever first.

On top of all of that, we have less than three weeks until my 21st birthday. If you're going to be in either Oshkosh or Milwaukee that week or weekend, let me know--if things fall into place, we're looking at a possible 5-night, 4-day-long celebration. That scribbling sign you are hearing is my liver hastily making picket signs in protest. Should be fun.

Anyways...

Charlie Weis loses job, none are shocked.
I find myself wondering how he is going to quash his massive appetite now. Perhaps with a year or two off, we might see his gunt shrink down from "of biblical proportions" to simply "humongous." But in all seriousness, if you're all for fairness this was long overdue. Weis got two more years than Ty Willingham did, had a three-year run of futility that trumped Ty's two years, and showed a general inability to win without Brady Quinn. Hell, he even managed to wreck a Clausen brother before the NFL, which is a new record. My prediction: fellow Bill Belichek protege Eric Mangini brings him on board to run the Browns offense next year, try to salvage Quinn's career, and break the NFL record for "gravitational pull resulting from a coaching staff."

Detroit Lions Apparently Aren't Any Good
I've been saying it for months now: the Packer defense is feast or famine. If they can force turnovers, they look all-world. If you protect the ball against them, you're gonna win. Facing resident Pick Boy Matthew Stafford, it was bound to be a Thansgiving feast for them. The big shocker is that the offensive line did not play, well, offensively. Could it be, as Cris Collinsworth suggested, that the Pack line is finally coming together? Or, could it be that they were playing the Detroit Hello Kitties? Methinks it was the second one.

At any rate, we've still got the Bears, Seahawks, and Cardinals remaining. Two wins against that bunch and we should be in the playoffs. Thank God for the NFC West.

Vince Young Wins Battle Of Non-Week-1-Starting Quarterbacks
Oh, wait, him and Leinart both started in the National Championship a few years ago? Really? I hadn't heard anything about that...

At any rate, Young might just end the season undefeated as a starter, and still miss the playoffs. Never seen that before.

And on the opposite end of the quarterback spectrum...
...the observation of the week is brought to you by ESPN.com's DJ Gallo.

27, 26, 26, 24

Those are the interception totals Jay Cutler, Jake Delhomme, Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez are on pace for, respectively(/disrespectively). This decade only two quarterbacks have thrown 25 or more interceptions in a season: Brett Favre in 2005 and Vinny Testaverde in 2000. And it's been since 1983 that three quarterbacks threw 25 or more in the same season (Lynn Dickey, Joe Ferguson and Richard Todd).

With Cutler, Stafford and Sanchez all set as the "future" for their teams, and with the Panthers incredibly having no better option than Delhomme (think about that and try not to have your brain explode), all four will likely play out the season and reach or eclipse those numbers. We may be witnessing a season we can one day tell our grandchildren about. When they're bad. And we want to make them cry.

It's worth noting that neither Jamarcus Russell nor Derek Anderson, widely regarded as the two worst quarterbacks in the league (if not two of the worst quarterbacks not named Craig Whelihan to ever step under center) are not on this list. That's how bad the NFL is this season.

(So, is it possible for a team with an iffy defense and no offensive line to cruise to the top wild card spot? Absolutely!)

Fantasy Update
Two weeks ago, 6 of 8 teams in my league ranged in record from 6-4 to 4-6. One was 7-3, one was 3-7. Today? At 7-4, my Dwayne Bowe Warriors have a playoff spot locked up. And trail by one game in our divison. We're up 5 points (thanks to Miles Austin's huge turkey day, and no thanks to Michael Turner's late addition to Atlanta's lineup, leaving Jason Snelling on the bench), with Maroney and Carney going against Reggie Bush and Shockey. Conversely, the team one game up on me in the division can lose with a 35-point effort from Drew Brees. In other words, both contests are up in the air.

(And for what it's worth, if I finish first in overall points--as I'm on pace to do--but miss a bye week thanks to our new divisional system, I plan on killing several kittens. And if I drop a fluke first-rounder because of this, I might throw in some babies. And if my team goes on a post-playoff-loss run that would've carried me to the title with the bye week, don't be surprised when you see "Crazed Wisconsin Fantasy Football Player Goes on Five-State Killing Spree" in the headlines. Just saying.)

No comments:

Post a Comment